And it’s about time.
I cast on for something new! This:
Stork’s Nest Scarf by Nancy Bush from the January 2008 issue of Piecework.
I am using the A Star Alpaca- hand dyed, hand spun, 90% alpaca, 10% silk I got from Lambtown last summer. It’s soft and yummy with creamy tan and camel color variations. It’s sport weight so I am using my size 6 Harmony circulars and knitting 2 pattern repeats across. So far, I’m very happy with it.
I finally got up the nerve to sign up for this year’s Mission Possible on Ravelry. In 2008, I only finished 7 of my 12 things- one of the leftovers being the endless scarf I have been working on, and I mean actually working on since 2007. I was supposed to give up the yarn or it’s equivalent from any of the uncompleted projects to charity. Fortunately, there’s been a general amnesty.
Just the same, if they want the pink mohair they can come and get it but I’ve hidden the Brooks Farm where no one can find it but me. And in case the Mods change their minds- I’m sleeping with the Elsebeth Lavold Angora I need to finish my sweater under my pillow.
I finally realized that part of the problem was that I had too many projects at the start that I made up my own pattern for. Because I hate to follow other people’s directions. Because what I have in my head isn’t available in a pattern. Because I really just want to start knitting and see what happens.
Then what happens is this: I have to frog, tinker, reknit, and repeat until I get something that seems kinda like what I wanted. So the 2 hats that should have taken a week each to make; sucked up about 2 months time.
Then I discovered that I really like knitting little free form toys- so I made lots. My MP08 ones and then some. It was all I knitted for about 6 weeks.
Get the picture?
So this year’s list is hopefully one I really can do:
I have 3 “amnesty” projects:
1. The endless scarf- I have about 6 more inches to go or so I thought at the time- see post from 2/14/09.
2. The Megan Shawl collar sweater in the angora- I am part way thru the first sleeve.
3. Something with the Brook’s Farm- Probably Flair and I am only promising to cast on by the end of the year
I am allowing myself 7 new projects:
4. The Stork’s Nest scarf pictured above
5. A fair isle hat using the leftover black Cascade 220 from my son’s Christmas gift and some tan Cascade 220 that mysteriously attached itself to me yesterday while I was in Sheepish.
6. A scarf that is in my mind and yes, I will have to make up the pattern but I’m planning to chart it before I start it. I have some light brown Berroco Pure merino for this.
Has anyone noticed? I seem to having a tan phase.
7. Some fingerless mitts as a Christmas gift. Pattern to be found not invented.
8. Knit up my Habu kit scarf- which I am really eager to start.
Then there’s my penance for failure to complete MP08:
9. Use up some stash- I have a lot of wooly ends and partial skeins- by knitting some hats for charity.
10. Use up the pink mohair in charity scarves. (my version of wearing a hair shirt)
What? You say there are only 10? The last 2 count double.